It’s worth spending quality time planning your Thames Path walk to get the most of it. There are different points to consider: the weather, busy hotel periods, transport to the start and end points, and what else to see along the way.
To help you, we’ve split the walk into 5 sections:
- Source to Oxford 51 miles Rural with relatively large distances between break points. Limited public transport.
- Oxford to Reading 38 miles Rural but with frequent places to break the journey. Well-served by rail (Oxford to Reading).
- Reading to Windsor 31 miles Rural but with frequent places to break the journey. Well-served by rail (Reading to Maidenhead with branch lines to Henley, Marlow and Windsor).
- Windsor to Richmond 27 miles Surroundings are more urban but the path is still rural. Well served by south-west rail.
- Richmond to Thames Barrier 33 miles Mostly urban. Mostly pavement walking from Hammersmith. London Underground reaches most of the walk.